Career Advisory Services
Optimizing your career is a lifelong challenge – whether you’re a college student, a recent grad, an MBA applicant, an emerging professional, or a seasoned executive.
Strategic insight and tactical skills are needed to target the right industry, the best company, and the ideal position for you. With that job in your sights, you need to qualify, compete for, and ultimately land that position – and having a proven career expert in your corner can make a world of difference! That expert is The MBA Exchange. We know what it takes to apply, interview, and get selected. Clients benefit from our first-hand knowledge of traditional and non-traditional roles and organizations spanning all industries. Even more important, we understand the perspectives and priorities of the managers who assess, interview, appoint, and promote prospective new hires like you.
We provide guidance and support to help you define, refine, and achieve your career aspirations. As you navigate the complex, ever-changing employment marketplace to obtain a role where you can realize the full value of your experience and education, we work with you to elevate and continue achieving your “personal best” – not only for your targeted dream job, but for the rest of your life.
Working as a committed, confidential partner we focus on tangible objectives and milestones established with you at the start of the engagement. Then, we help you identify, find, and move towards acquiring the role you desire while ensuring that it contributes to your long-term success – based on how you define success. Our services are personalized through an empathetic, results-oriented advisory process.
1-ON-1 CAREER COACHING SERVICES:
Creating a Comprehensive Strategy for Job Search
- Planning, organizing and implementing your campaign
- Learning what to do – and what to avoid – to ensure interview invitations
- Using professional and personal networking to your advantage
- Creating a marketable inventory of your knowledge and skills
- Targeting which industries, companies and executives to contact
- Connecting with corporate and executive recruiters
Optimizing Your Presence On and Use of LinkedIn
- Writing a personal summary as well as one for each past experience
- Optimizing your online profile for job-search success
- Finding and approaching the right individuals to advance your campaign
- Building a customized list of target companies to pursue
- Identifying possible jobs based on your career trajectory
- Choosing the right settings for your profile, communications, groups and account
Writing a Compelling Resume to Elevate Your Profile
- Gathering and organizing information about previous experiences and current goals
- Going through your contributions, line by line, evaluating the effectiveness of your content and enhancing it to convey the transferable skills recruiters are looking for
- Structuring a document that highlights your skills, experience and accomplishments in a readable and appealing way
- Altering your content to pass through Application Tracking Systems more effectively
Preparing for Successful Job Interviews
- Creating a list of questions most likely to be asked and structuring the best answers
- Developing a one-page “Interview Template”
- Preparing for challenging behavioral interview questions
- Practicing interview answers and getting real-time feedback on your areas of strength and weakness
- Evaluating your virtual interview setup (lighting, background, internet speed, eye contact, dress attire, etc.)
- Developing a list of engaging questions for you to ask the interviewer
Negotiating for the Best Position & Compensation
- Analyzing the entire job offer package, from compensation to benefits, and discussion on how the offer aligns with your short- and long-term goals
- Ensuring that job responsibilities, title, terms and compensation meet or exceed your expectations
- Strategizing your negotiation by drafting a plan that ensures you move through the negotiation discussion with tact and confidence
Meet our Senior Career Consultant
Tamara Clarkson has nearly a decade of experience coaching and mentoring MBA students, MBA alumni and executives. As former Associate Director of MBA Career Development at Rice University, Career Services Consultant at Purdue University, and founder of her own consulting business, Tamara understands the breadth of career paths for an MBA as well as the inherent challenges that come with a career pivot. She specializes in helping high-achieving professionals navigate their careers, and her work has helped candidates identify career possibilities, create networking strategies, position themselves competitively, and negotiate higher salaries at employers including Goldman Sachs, McKinsey & Co., Apple, Amazon, etc. Tamara has a master’s degree in professional counseling and a bachelor’s degree in art history from Texas State University.
To determine how our career advisory services can serve you, and to learn more about how we do what we do, Contact Us today!